Moving project cargo is a sensitive and responsible assignment due to the risks associated with the unique nature of the goods. With the increase in the demand for project cargo space, challenges on this front have also surfaced drastically. Conversely, massive developments in the technological front at a global scale have not left the project cargo space unimpacted. People belonging to project cargo niche have recognized the significance of technology and are eventually incorporating it into their operations to curb the challenges. While technology is just one of the factors, bulk cargo or heavy-lift shipments require excellent infrastructure, high-end equipment, and experienced professionals.
Streamlining of process is essential when the demand of project cargo is high. In order to do so, there arises an increased need for efficiency, comprehensiveness, and digital solutions. Meeting the steadily growing demands skilfully seem possible if the project cargo industry develops new ways and keeps up with the technological advancements rationalizing project cargo logistics.
Future of project cargo logistics largely depends on how soon the challenges of the industry are overcome. Before we move on to discussing the possible solutions, let’s delve into the current challenges that the industry faces.
- Cost of fuel – High fuel costs lead to increase in transportation costs for shippers. Therefore, the issue that the project cargo industry faces revolves around cutting down on transportation costs.
- Regulations – Heightened compliances and regulations imposed by federal, state, and local authorities create pressure on the project cargo industry from time to time.
- Economy – Surcharged fuel costs not only lead to a huge credit crisis but also increase inflation within economies.
- Customer Service – Due to technological developments, customer expectations have risen multifold. They want complete transparency at all times in terms of their shipment delivery. Meeting customer expectations has become a challenge for the project cargo industry because it requires expedited shipping method coupled with high-end tracking software.
- Implementation of new technology and strategies – Onboarding new technologies is an expensive affair for logistics companies. Therefore, despite supporting the benefits new technologies have to offer, they are on the look-out for more cost-effective ways.
Considering the current scenario of India, the nation is soon going to experience a major upsurge in industrial and manufacturing activity. With the boom in the investment in infrastructure, there will be a drastic increase in the activity of project cargo movement. Hence, making provisions for both equipment and personnel experienced in handling cargo is the need of the hour.
Gradual adoption of radical technologies also seems to be a priority as the future of project logistics will be faster, better, and self-driven. Logistics companies in India must brace themselves up for a digital transformation.
With some amendments in government policies, it is expected that there will be a substantial growth in this segment.
Moreover, packaging has an indispensable role to play in project logistics. Details collected in the initial stages of communication right from the time of query is important in determining the prices, hence there should be absolute transparency with the end client. It not only makes the process seamless but also helps in determining the right packaging options at par with the dimensions and weight of the shipment.
Coming up with several cost-effective strategies will be more beneficial than cutting down on random expenses.
Industry leaders have largely anticipated that the project cargo industry in India will develop by leaps and bounds. To reap the benefits of the surged demands, the industry needs to be vigilant and work on devising new strategies.